1 of 11
Decorate with Nature
One temporary way to bring autumn indoors is to create a natural display, such as a blazing tree branch and greenish gourds.
2 of 11
3 of 11
4 of 11
5 of 11
6 of 11
Paint a Seasonal Door
Although dark-purple walls might be difficult to live with (and hard to paint over), a deep-violet door creates intrigue without overpowering this entryway. The marriage of purple paint and dark wood floors also looks surprisingly classic. The door can be painted over when this darker tone seems too harsh.
7 of 11
Set a Seasonal Table
Whether the materials come from your backyard or a garden center, its easy to incorporate natural elements into the centerpiece of an alfresco dinner. Position stones down the middle of an outdoor table, and intersperse bunches of cushion moss.
8 of 11
Save the expense of buying a summery shower curtain. Nothing looks as inviting in a cool white bathroom as plush terry-cloth towels. This shower curtain is made from bath sheets stitched with a simple seam. It couldn't be easier -- the towels are just the right size for a standard tub, and they don't need to be hemmed.
9 of 11
Add a Pop of Seasonal Color
Paint the backs of bookcases in a bright orange for the fall season -- or just line them with colored paper -- to give your case a cozy touch.
10 of 11
Let Flowers Do the Talking
Nature brings out its own palette of beauties each season. A lush gathering of daffodils in April or a nosegay of roses in June will instantly make your home feel right now.
You Just Viewed
Make It SeasonalReplay
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- A Blueprint for Color
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- The Barest Simmer
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Decorate with Brass
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho