Chicory Salad with Lardons and Poached Eggs
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2007
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 ounces rustic French bread, crust removed, cut into 1 1/4-by-2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 anchovy fillet, mashed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 4 ounces thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 small head chicory, cut into 2-inch pieces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat garlic and 2 tablespoons oil in a small saute pan over medium heat until oil is bubbling. Discard garlic; drizzle oil over bread on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
Whisk mustard, anchovy, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in red-wine vinegar. Whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons oil.
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in white vinegar. Break eggs into separate cups; slide eggs into water. Cook 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
Toss chicory with vinaigrette. Divide among 4 plates. Top each with an egg; sprinkle with bacon and croutons.