This baked mixture of quinoa, spinach, cottage cheese, and eggs is substantial enough to serve on its own. In place of fresh spinach, you can also use 3/4 cup frozen, chopped spinach that has been thawed.
- Servings: 8
Photography: Richard Gerhard Jung
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2001
- Olive-oil cooking spray
- Breadcrumbs, for baking dish
- 1 pound spinach leaves, picked and washed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon picked fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (about 1 cup uncooked quinoa), made according to package directions
- 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-by-8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with olive-oil spray. Coat with breadcrumbs; set aside.
Fill a large bowl with ice and water; set aside. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add spinach; blanch until bright green, about 10 seconds. Transfer to ice bath. When spinach is cold, remove from ice bath, squeeze out all water, and finely chop; set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and red-pepper flakes, and saute until translucent, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; transfer to a medium bowl.
Add spinach, quinoa, cottage cheese, pepper, and eggs to the onion mixture, and stir until well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, and place in the oven. Bake until set and edges are brown, 60 to 70 minutes. Slice, and serve warm or at room temperature.