Hearty Spinach and Chickpea Soup
This recipe makes enough extra brown rice to be used in Brown Rice Stir-fry. After cooking, allow the leftover rice to cool, then cover and refrigerate. <br><br> Per serving 455 calories; 21 g protein; 10 g fat; 78 g carb; 12 g fiber
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces (4 cups) fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps thinly sliced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 bags (5 ounces each) baby spinach leaves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a rapid boil. Stir in brown rice and return to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook, without lifting lid, for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth and rosemary; bring to a boil. Cover and remove from heat.
Check rice after 30 minutes; if it's not yet tender, cover and continue cooking, up to 10 more minutes. Stir 2 cups cooked rice and chickpeas into the broth; return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and continue cooking for 5 more minutes to allow flavors to blend.
Stir in spinach and cook, uncovered, until just wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cheese; serve immediately.