California Cobb Salad
Created at Brown Derby Restaurant in Hollywood, this bulked up salad is a flavorful and satisfying entree.
- Servings: 6
Source: Mad Hungry, July 2011
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and chopped
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed, dried, and chopped
- 2 8-ounce chicken breasts, poached or grilled
- 6 strips bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 4 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Spread the lettuce out on the bottom of a large rectangle platter. Working from one narrow side of the platter to the other, place the remaining ingredients over the lettuce in rows of stripes. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Make the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Mince the garlic with salt and mash with the side of a knife until it becomes a paste. Add it to the bowl, whisking constantly. Slowly pour in the olive oil in a thin stream until thick and creamy. Whisk in the pepper and pour over the salad.