Sausage and Sour-Cherry Stuffing
Use this "Cooking School" stuffing recipe when making Stuffed Turkey Breast.
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2008
- 2 cups cubes from a loaf of Italian rustic bread (trimmed of crust)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled and very thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces sweet Italian sausage (about 1 1/2 links), casings removed
- 1/3 cup (2 ounces) coarsely chopped dried sour cherries
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup Basic Chicken Stock
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Toast bread: Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spread bread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let stand until cool.
Make stuffing: Set a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot, then heat the oil. Add onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add sausage and cook, breaking it up with the back of a spoon, until cooked through, about 3 minutes. Stir in cherries and rosemary, and cook 1 minute more. Pour in stock and stir to combine, then stir in bread, making sure all parts are moistened with liquid. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Adjust seasoning as desired, before proceeding with the Stuffed Turkey Breast recipe.