Red Lentil and Squash Curry Soup
Butternut squash and lentil soup is a simple light meal or a first course.
- Servings: 8
Photography: Richard Gerhard Jung
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2001
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 recipe Quick Curry Powder
- 12 ounces red lentils
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- Two 14 1/2-ounce cans low-sodium canned, or homemade, chicken stock, skimmed of fat
- 2 cups water
Combine salt and curry powder; set aside. Rinse lentils; set aside. Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add curry mixture; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion, garlic, and ginger; cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add squash; cook until just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add stock and water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cook until squash is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in lentils; cook until soft, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.