Crunchy vegetables pickled in white-wine vinegar can be served as a garnish or a side dish.
- Yield: Makes 2 quarts
- 2 1/2 cups white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed, peeled, sliced on the bias into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed, peeled, sliced on the bias into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 head cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1 small yellow onion, trimmed, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and halved crosswise
- 2 serrano peppers sliced crosswise on the bias into 1/2-inch pieces
In a large saucepan combine the vinegar, salt, sugar, bay leaf, cloves, celery seeds, and 2 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients and return to a boil.
Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid.