Madeleines are best the day they are made.
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup cake flour, not self-rising
- 1 pinch of table salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and lightly flour madeleine pan. In medium bowl, whisk both flours and salt together. In bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat eggs and sugar together. Add vanilla and lemon zest, then flour mixture; beat until just combined. On low speed, pour in melted butter in a steady stream; mix until incorporated.
Spoon rounded tablespoon batter into each form. Bake 5 minutes; reduce oven to 350 degrees. Bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes more. Let cool slightly; remove from pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar, and serve.