- Servings: 8
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chilled (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 pounds dark plums (about 6), pitted and cut into eighths
- Whipped cream, for serving (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup sugar, salt, and flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside half the mixture. Add the cinnamon, baking powder, and 1 egg to the other half. Mix until well blended. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch shallow baking dish. Bake until firm and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
While the pastry is baking, whisk together 1/4 cup sugar, the remaining egg, the cream, and the almond and vanilla extracts in a small bowl; set aside.
Remove the pastry from the oven, and top with plum slices. Pour the cream mixture over the plums, and sprinkle with reserved butter-flour mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and bake until topping is golden brown and the plums are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.