These macabre treats, so sweet yet so sinister, will make even the bravest eaters tremble. The marshmallow skulls top madeleines shrouded in bittersweet chocolate.
- Yield: Makes about 5 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2008
For the Madeleines
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pans
For the Glaze
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61 percent), finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
Make the madeleines: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter mini-madeleine pans.
Whisk cocoa powder and water in a medium bowl until smooth. Let cool slightly, then whisk in egg, yolk, and vanilla until incorporated.
Beat flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt with a mixer on low speed until combined. Raise speed to medium, and add butter and 1/2 the cocoa mixture. Beat for 2 minutes, then scrape sides of bowl. Beat in remaining cocoa mixture on medium speed until completely combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip, and pipe into buttered pans, filling each 3/4 full. (Refrigerate batter between batches.) Bake, rotating halfway, until testers inserted in centers come out clean and madeleines spring back when pressed, 8 to 10 minutes. Unmold onto wire racks, and let cool.
Make the glaze: Place chocolate in a food processor. Bring cream and corn syrup to a simmer in a small saucepan, whisking until combined. Pour over chocolate, and process until smooth.
Set racks with madeleines over parchment-lined baking sheets. Spoon some of the glaze over each madeleine to coat. Transfer to clean parchment-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until glaze is firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Push sticky side of marshmallow skulls into madeleines, and serve immediately.