Lemony Lentil Salad
This substantial lentil salad can stand on its own or take a supporting role. It's perfect for a picnic or potluck brunch.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Rick Lew
Source: Body+Soul, September 2006
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 orange, red, or yellow (or a mix) bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch dices
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook lentils until crisp-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water to stop further cooking, and drain again.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, mustard, and tarragon. Add drained lentils, bell peppers, and scallions; season well with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature or chilled.