Cinnamon Roll Dough
This recipe has been adapted from "HomeBaking -- Sweet and Savory Traditions From Around the World" by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. Use this dough to make Truck Stop Cinnamon Rolls.
- Yield: Makes about 5 pounds
- Vegetable oil, for oiling bowl
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 5 cups warm (110 degrees) water
- 10 to 13 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/2 cup dark-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
Lightly oil a large bowl; set aside. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water. Add 5 cups flour, and stir to combine. Stir in the sugar and salt. Add remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, stirring until a sticky dough forms. When the dough becomes too stiff to stir, turn it out onto a well-floured work surface. Knead, incorporating only as much flour as needed to make a smooth and elastic dough, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to prepared bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.