Cornbread for Dressing
Make this cornbread for our Cornbread-and-Biscuit Dressing recipe.
- Yield: Makes one 8-inch square (enough for 1 recipe of Cornbread-and-Biscuit Dressing)
Photography: Anna Williams
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2007
- 2 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for baking dish
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish. Whisk together cornmeal, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and butter in a medium bowl. Add egg mixture to cornmeal mixture, and stir to combine.
Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly in dish on a wire rack. Run a knife around edges of dish to loosen, and invert onto rack to cool completely.