Mediterranean Soup with Chicken and Tortellini
This stock can be made several weeks in advance and frozen. To use, thaw, and bring just to a boil; proceed to step 3.
For the Soup
- 1/3 pound fresh meat-filled tortellini
- 1 bunch fresh chives
For the Stock
- 3 pounds chicken, backs, necks, and wings
- 5 sprigs fresh tarragon
- 10 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 carrots, scrubbed and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 6 canned plum tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Peel from 1 orange
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 3-inch lengths
Remove and discard the excess fat from the chicken parts, and rinse the chicken; transfer to a large stockpot. Add all remaining stock ingredients and 4 quarts of water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Skim stock of foam that rises as necessary.
Reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered 2 hours; continue to skim as necessary. Pass through a fine sieve or cheesecloth-lined strainer into a large bowl. Discard solids. Skim the fat; season with salt.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini; cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain. Place a few tortellini in each soup bowl and top with the hot stock. Garnish with the chives, and serve hot.