Pork Chile Verde
The winner of the Martha Stewart Recipe Bowl is Lisa Ruiz from Henderson, NV. This is her prize-winning recipe.
- 8 fresh tomatillos
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 to 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 pounds pork country style loin ribs, trimmed of fat and cut into cubes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cans of diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Cilantro, freshly chopped (for garnish)
- Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (for garnish)
- Sour cream (for garnish)
Put peeled and rinsed tomatillos into a blender with just enough water to blend into a puree. Set aside. Heat olive oil in a large stock pot. Saute onion until slightly browned.
Add chopped jalapeno and garlic. Saute a few minutes more. Add pork and brown on both sides. Salt and pepper meat to taste. Add green chilies, pureed tomatillos and oregano. Simmer uncovered for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring often until liquid is reduced. Add freshly chopped cilantro just before serving.
Garnish with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and sour cream if desired.