These savory pan-fried cakes are an ideal transition food for kids 10 months and older. The soft carrot wedges round out the meal.
- Yield: Makes 10
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Fall 2005
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast half (about 7 ounces), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons applesauce, plus more for dipping
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
Pulse chicken and scallions in a food processor until coarsely pureed. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in quinoa, applesauce, and salt, if desired. Form into 2-inch patties that are 1/2 inch thick. Patties can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month until ready to cook.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add patties to skillet; cook, turning once, until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Serve warm with applesauce.