Easy Chocolate Truffles
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Five strips 1-inch-wide orange peel, pith removed
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped assorted nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, and pistachios
In a small saucepan, whisk together cream and cardamom. Add orange peel; bring just to a boil. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes. Line a baking pan with parchment; set it and another pan aside.
Return cream mixture to heat; bring to a boil. Place chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Remove cream mixture from heat. Pour through a sieve set over chocolate; discard solids. Stir until melted and smooth.
Pour chocolate mixture onto the unlined baking pan, and spread in an even layer with an offset spatula. Transfer baking pan to freezer; chill chocolate until hardened but malleable, 15 to 20 minutes.
Using a tablespoon, scrape enough chocolate from pan to form a roughly shaped 1-inch ball, being careful not to press too hard against baking pan. Repeat. Transfer balls to the parchment-lined pan; chill truffles in the refrigerator 10 minutes.
Place the confectioners' sugar, the cocoa powder, and the chopped nuts in three separate bowls. Roll the truffles in desired coatings.