Under 30 Minutes
Escarole and Meatball Soup
Simmer herbed meatballs with escarole and kidney beans for a soothing soup.
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1 head escarole (about 6 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 small dried chile pepper, crumbled
Soak bread with milk in a small bowl for 2 minutes. Squeeze excess moisture from bread, and tear into small pieces. Stir meats, soaked bread, onion, garlic, currants, and oregano in a large bowl until well mixed; season with salt and pepper. Roll into 1 1/4-inch balls.
Heat oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Cook meatballs, turning often, until browned and cooked through, 12 minutes.
Bring stock to a boil in a medium pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add meatballs, escarole, beans, and chile; cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December 2005