Steamed Chocolate-Gingerbread Pudding
Orange zest infuses a steamed chocolate-gingerbread pudding topped with orange marmalade.
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for mold
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 1/4 cups orange marmalade
- Vanilla-Bean Creme Anglaise
Set a steamer insert into a large pot. Set an 8-cup steam pudding mold on steamer insert. Fill pot with enough water to reach halfway up sides of mold. Remove mold, and bring water to a boil.
Butter mold. Whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cloves.
Beat butter, sugar, and orange zest with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes. With machine running, add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until combined. Reduce speed to low; mix in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with molasses, beginning and ending with flour. Mix in chocolate.
Evenly spread marmalade in bottom of prepared pudding mold. Pour in batter. Cover mold with lid or a clean kitchen towel secured with kitchen twine. Place mold onto insert set in boiling water. Reduce heat, and simmer. Cover, and steam until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, 2 to 2 1/2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure water level is maintained (add hot water as needed).
Remove mold from steamer, and let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature, with vanilla-bean creme anglaise.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December 2009