Asian Crab Cakes
Mini crab cakes encrusted with sesame seeds get a kick from wasabi and soy sauce. The toppings of wasabi, mayonnaise, cucumber, and pickled ginger add creaminess, crispness, and tang, as well as color.
- Yield: Makes about 24
- 8 ounces jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over well and rinsed
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain fresh or dried breadcrumbs
- 1 English cucumber, for garnish
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2/3 cup safflower oil, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup drained pickled ginger, for garnish
Flake crabmeat with a fork in a medium bowl; stir in 1/4 cup mayonnaise, scallions, soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon wasabi, and zest. Stir in 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour.
Meanwhile, stir together remaining 3 tablespoons mayonnaise and 1 1/2 teaspoons wasabi in a small bowl. Using a vegetable peeler, make 3/4-by-2-inch ribbons from cucumber (you'll need about 24 ribbons, or 1 for each cake). Fold each ribbon into thirds.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and pepper. In a small bowl, beat eggs with the water. In a shallow bowl, stir together sesame seeds and remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
Form 1 scant tablespoon crab mixture into a ball; dip in seasoned flour. Flatten into a 3/4-inch-thick disk about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Repeat with remaining crab mixture. Dip cakes in egg mixture, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium until hot but not smoking. Add half the crab cakes; cook, turning once, until golden and crisp on both sides, about 1 1/2 minutes. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to paper-towel-lined plates to drain. Repeat with the remaining cakes, adding more oil if needed.
To serve, dot each crab cake with wasabi mayonnaise, and top with a cucumber ribbon and a piece of ginger.