Poached Figs with Fresh Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup good-quality honey
- 4 strips orange peel (each 3 inches long), plus 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 24 dried Black Mission figs (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup, fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Heat 3 cups water, the sugar, honey, and orange strips and grated zest in a large saute pan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar and honey have dissolved, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add figs; cover, and simmer until figs are just tender, about 20 minutes. Gently transfer figs to a plate with a slotted spoon.
Raise heat to medium-high, and bring syrup to a boil. Cook until syrup has reduced and thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
Return figs to pan, and gently toss with syrup to coat. Spoon 1/4 cup ricotta into each of 4 bowls. Divide figs among bowls, and drizzle with syrup. Sprinkle with cinnamon.