Homemade BBQ Sauce
This sauce is used in the recipe for Backyard Barbecued Chicken.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 4 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cane syrup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons red hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or more to taste
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add all the remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the flavors have married, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.