Vegetable Market Salad
Consider adding a small handful of edible flowers to this light salad as a beautiful (and tasty) garnish. Serve promptly for freshness.
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 6 ounces red new potatoes, well-scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini (about 6 ounces), thinly sliced lengthwise, then cut lengthwise into very thin strips, and then halved crosswise
- 1 small head of fennel (about 8 ounces), tops removed, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 ounces radishes (about 4), ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and dried
For the vinaigrette, combine the lemon zest and juice in a large bowl. Add anchovy, if using, and mix well. Slowly add oil in a steady stream until incorporated; season generously with salt and pepper.
Place potatoes and garlic in a small pot of cold salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to low, and simmer until potatoes are cooked through, but not falling apart, about 7 minutes. Drain well and add to the bowl with the vinaigrette. Toss well; cool to room temperature.
Add zucchini, fennel, radishes, scallions, parsley, and capers to bowl; toss well and serve immediately.
SourceBody+Soul, July/August 2007