This simple Mediterranean salad takes little time to make and is extremely healthy. Serve this as a side dish or a sandwich filling; try layering it in pita bread and top it with cold sliced lamb and feta cheese.From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Artisan Books).
- Servings: 6
Source: Mad Hungry, October 2010
- 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 tomatoes, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 scallions (both white and green parts), trimmed and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 to 3 cups chopped fresh curly parsley, stems removed
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, or more to taste
Rinse the bulgur wheat in cold running water and soak in a bowl of cold water for 20 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl.
Add the tomatoes, scallions, parsley, cucumber, and mint. Toss together.
Whisk together the lemon zest and juice, olive oil, and salt. Stir the dressing into the salad to fully combine.