Versatile Tomato Sauce
This sauce is delicious served over pasta, couscous, or with rice and beans.
- Yield: Makes 3 quarts
Source: Martha Stewart Baby, Special Issue 2000
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, chopped medium
- 2 small carrots, finely chopped
- 2 yellow squashes, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 4 cans (28 ounces each) peeled plum tomatoes
Place oil in a large stockpot set over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; saute until soft, about 6 minutes. Add carrots, squash, zucchini, salt and pepper to taste, rosemary, and thyme. Stirring occasionally, cook until vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
Transfer half the mixture to a bowl; set aside. Gently crush the plum tomatoes with your hands, and add them (with juice) to the pot. Simmer over medium-low heat until sauce begins to thicken, about 1 1/2 hours. Add reserved squash mixture, and heat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.