- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, June 2011
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan (2 1/4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 large zucchini (1 1/4 pounds total), halved crosswise and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
Preheat oven to 425 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Lightly coat two rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray. In a wide, shallow dish, mix together panko, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, cayenne, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a medium bowl, lightly beat egg whites.
Working with one at a time, dip zucchini wedges in egg whites, then breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere. Arrange on sheets in a single layer. Bake until coating is golden brown and crisp, 20 minutes, flipping zucchini and rotating sheets halfway through. Season to taste with salt and pepper; serve immediately.