Banana-Nut Buttermilk Waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups nonfat buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 very ripe bananas (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Preheat a waffle iron. Into a large bowl, sift together flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla. Pour into dry ingredients; stir until just combined.
In a separate bowl, coarsely mash bananas and lemon juice; stir into batter along with the walnuts. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with a hand-mixer until stiff but not dry. Fold into the batter.
Ladle about 1/3 cup batter onto each section of the waffle grid; spread batter almost to the edges. Close lid; bake until no steam emerges from waffle iron, 5 to 6 minutes.
Transfer cooked waffles to a baking sheet; place in an oven set to low heat, about 200 degrees, while using remaining batter. Serve.