Mess o' Greens
A smoked turkey wing takes the place of bacon here as a meat flavoring to the greens.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, May 1996
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 medium leeks, white and light-green parts only, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 smoked turkey wing (4 to 6 ounces), cut into 3-inch pieces
- 3 pounds greens, such as collard, mustard, turnip, and kale, washed thoroughly, trimmed, and torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or casserole over medium-high heat until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Add leeks and garlic; stir to coat. Cook, stirring, until leeks are softened but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add red-pepper flakes, smoked turkey wing, and greens; if necessary, add greens in several batches.
Add wine; cover. Steam greens, turning occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover, add salt and pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, 3 minutes more. Discard turkey and garlic, and serve.