- 2 1/2 cups apple-cider, or distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 2 to 3 bay leaves (optional)
- 8 to 10 black peppercorns (optional)
- 1 to 2 pieces whole allspice (optional)
- Kernels from 10 ears corn (about 8 cups)
- 2 small red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 small white onions, thinly sliced
In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seed, thyme, celery seed, and red-pepper flakes, bay leaves, black peppercorns, and allspice. Bring to a boil. Add corn, bell peppers, and onions. Return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook just until color of corn brightens, 1 to 3 minutes.
Ladle into clean jars. Cover, and refrigerate until cold. Will keep, refrigerated, for up to 1 month.