Plum Skillet Cake
This plum-topped dessert is baked in a skillet and yields a moist, tender cake. You can also use an 8-inch cake pan.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Tara Donne
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2010
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for skillet
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for skillet
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Coarse salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 ripe medium plums, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8-inch ovenproof skillet (preferably cast-iron); dust with flour, tapping out excess. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat butter and 3/4 cup sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk.
Pour batter into prepared skillet, and smooth top with an offset spatula. Fan plums on top, and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly.