Father's Day Barbecue Sauce
A perfect -- and delectable -- gift for the grilling enthusiast in your family.
- Yield: Makes 1 1/4 quarts
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2003
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- Canned chipotle chiles packed in adobe sauce, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes, chiles, Worcestershire, vinegar, and molasses. Simmer until reduced by a third, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
Working in batches, puree sauce in a blender. Season with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate in a jar up to 2 weeks.