This cornbread is baked -- and served -- in a cast-iron skillet, giving it a crunchy crust.
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Whisk together egg and buttermilk; stir into flour mixture.
Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or a 2-quart baking dish in oven. Remove skillet; swirl to coat bottom. Pour in batter. Bake until a tester comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cut into wedges.