Andy's Vegetable Stock
This recipe has been adapted from Dr. Andrew Weil's book, "The Healthy Kitchen" (Knopf, 2005) and is used in Andy's Roasted Winter Squash and Apple Soup.
- Yield: Makes about 20 cups
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 1107
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, white and light-green parts only, well-washed and chopped
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley stems
- 2 teaspoons dried whole marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 3 Turkish bay leaves, or 1/2 California bay leaf
- 1 1/2 gallons cold purified water
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add vegetables, and saute until lightly browned. Stir in parsley, marjoram, thyme, bay leaves, and cold water. Bring pot to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
Strain stock through a fine sieve or a cheesecloth-lined colander. Press or squeeze vegetables to extract all liquid; discard vegetables.
Use immediately, or freeze for later use.