Whole-Wheat Pizza with Artichokes and Pecorino
The meaty artichoke hearts provide a nice balance to the light and creamy ricotta cheese. Take premade dough out of the fridge a few hours before you plan on using it to let it rise.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Body+Soul, April/May 2007
- 4 Steamed Artichokes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
- 1 pound whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, thiny sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
- 3 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
Use a paring knife to trim away all of the artichokes' fibrous leaves and chokes so only the hearts remain. Slice the hearts thinly crosswise. In a small bowl, toss artichoke hearts with lemon juice.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Stretch dough on prepared sheet and brush with oil, making sure to coat edges well. Scatter spoonfuls of ricotta over dough. Top with tomatoes, artichokes, olives, and 3/4 of the Pecorino. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake pizza until browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Top cooked pizza with basil and reserved Pecorino.