Pappardelle with Spicy Sausage and Mixed Wild Mushrooms
This recipe is adapted from Jamie Oliver's cookbook, "The Naked Chef Takes Off" (Hyperion, 2001).
- Servings: 4
Photography: not applicable
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 9 ounces best-quality spicy sausage, casing removed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound mixed wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles, oyster, and shiitake, trimmed and torn
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, leaves
- 1 to 2 small dried red chiles, crumbled
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fresh Pappardelle
- 3 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add sausage, onion, and garlic, breaking up sausage with a spoon. Cook until onions are golden, about 7 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme, and chiles; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms release their liquid and it evaporates, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt and pappardelle. Cook until al dente, 3 to 5 minutes. Reserve a 1/2 cup cooking liquid; drain pasta. Return to pot.
Add butter to mushroom mixture along with some of the cooking liquid to loosen, if necessary. Return mushroom mixture to pot; toss to combine. Transfer to a large serving platter. Garnish with parsley and cheese; serve immediately.