Crispy cornflake chicks in a chocolaty cereal nest are a sure sign that spring is on the way.
- Yield: Makes 7 nests and 14 chicks
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Spring
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for bowls
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 1/2 cups finely crushed corn flakes
- 1/4 cup black and brown candy-coated chocolate pieces, crushed
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels, melted
- 2 teaspoons smooth peanut butter
- Candies, for decorating
Toast coconut in 350 degree oven until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, stirring once. Butter seven 3 1/2-inch bowls; set aside. Melt butter in saucepan. Add marshmallows; stir until melted. Stir in cornflakes. Set aside 1 3/4 cups of the mixture in a medium bowl.
Stir 1/2 cup coconut, crushed chocolate pieces, and melted chocolate into mixture in pan. Press into bowls to form nests. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Form chicks from reserved mixture (attach 1- and 3/4-inch cereal balls with peanut butter). Decorate with candies. Remove nests from bowls; line with coconut. Add chicks.