Arugula Salad with Caramelized Endive and Fennel
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2005
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and cut into 8 to 12 wedges
- 2 Belgian endives, each cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 5 dried Black Mission figs, quartered
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and segmented
- 8 cups baby arugula, about 5 ounces
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss fennel, endives, rosemary, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Spread mixture in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, tossing occasionally, until fennel and endives are well browned, about 35 minutes. Discard rosemary.
Transfer fennel mixture to a large serving bowl. Add vinegar, mustard, remaining tablespoon oil, the figs, and orange segments. Toss well to combine. Let cool to room temperature. Just before serving, toss fennel mixture with the arugula. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.