Big Bob Gibson Mustard Slaw
This recipe for mustard slaw -- the Memphis version of this classic side dish -- is served at Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q in Decatur, Alabama. Like most slaws, this one tastes even better the next day. Choose a cabbage with crisp, firmly packed leaves; the head should be heavy for its size.
- Servings: 20
Source: Martha Stewart Living Television
- 2 medium heads green cabbage (about 4 pounds each), cored and shredded
- 1 large white onion, shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, deveined, and shredded
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 large rib celery, shredded
- 3/4 cup apple-cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, or to taste
In a large bowl, place cabbage, onion, bell pepper, carrot, and celery. Mix to combine.
In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, mustard, ketchup, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Pour over cabbage mixture. Add sugar, and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill.