Cheesy Beans and Franks
Beans stand in for noodles in this rich and tasty variation on macaroni and cheese. Sliced sausage adds flavor and texture.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 3 1/2 cups grated (9 ounces) yellow cheddar cheese
- 2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups smoked beef sausage (7 ounces), halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick half-moons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup finely crushed croutons
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute, stirring frequently, until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add flour, and stir to coat onion. Reduce heat to medium. While stirring with a whisk, add the milk in a steady stream; continue whisking constantly, especially in the corners of the pan, until combined. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until sauce begins to thicken slightly, about 2 minutes. Add the cheese 1 cup at a time, stirring to combine after each addition.
Remove from heat, and stir in the beans and sausage. Season with salt and pepper, and transfer to an 8-inch square or 6-cup-capacity ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle croutons over the top of the casserole, and bake until edges are bubbling, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Let cool slightly before serving.
SourceMartha Stewart Kids, Fall