Martha's Classic Eggnog
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups heavy cream, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup bourbon, preferably Maker's Mark
- 1/4 cup dark rum, preferably Mount Gay
- 1/4 cup Cognac, preferably Remy Martin Grand Cru
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for sprinkling
Beat yolks in a very large bowl until thick and pale. Slowly beat in sugar. Whisk in milk and 2 cups cream. Mix in bourbon, rum, and Cognac. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Just before serving, beat whites until stiff peaks form. Fold whites into eggnog. Whisk remaining 1 cup cream until stiff peaks form, and fold into eggnog. (Alternatively, you can fold half the whipped cream into eggnog, and top with remaining half.) Sprinkle with nutmeg.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December 2008