Martha's Classic Eggnog
A giant hotel-silver punch bowl holds Martha's signature eggnog, rich with cream and laced with rum, bourbon, and Cognac.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2008
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups heavy cream, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup bourbon, preferably Maker's Mark
- 1/4 cup dark rum, preferably Mount Gay
- 1/4 cup Cognac, preferably Remy Martin Grand Cru
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for sprinkling
Beat yolks in a very large bowl until thick and pale. Slowly beat in sugar. Whisk in milk and 2 cups cream. Mix in bourbon, rum, and Cognac. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Just before serving, beat whites until stiff peaks form. Fold whites into eggnog. Whisk remaining 1 cup cream until stiff peaks form, and fold into eggnog. (Alternatively, you can fold half the whipped cream into eggnog, and top with remaining half.) Sprinkle with nutmeg.