Eleanora's Marinara Sauce
This recipe comes to us from Eleanora Scarpetta, a Martha Stewart Living viewer. Use it when preparing her delicious recipe for eggplant parmigiana.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 medium cloves)
- Three 28-ounce cans peeled whole tomatoes, strained and pureed
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion; season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, and cook 2 minutes more.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook until thick, about 30 minutes. Stir in basil. Remove from heat.