Filled and topped with fresh stone fruit, everyone's favorite handheld treat gets a summertime update.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium nectarines, peeled, halved, pitted, and finely chopped (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 medium nectarine, halved, pitted, and very thinly sliced, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cupcakes: Sift together flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir together milk and vanilla.
Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. With mixer running, add eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating twice with milk mixture.
Line a standard muffin tin with baking cups. Fill each with 1 tablespoon batter, 1 heaping tablespoon chopped nectarines, and an additional 2 tablespoons batter. Bake until edges begin to turn golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool in tin.
Make the topping: Whisk together cream, sour cream, and sugar to medium peaks. Top cupcakes with a dollop of cream and nectarine slices.