Buttermilk and Bacon Mashed Potatoes
These recipes have been adapted from "Bobby Flay Cooks American" by Bobby Flay. Copyright 2003 by Bobby Flay. Photography copyright 2001 by Gentl and Hypers/Edge. Reprinted by permission of Hyperion.
- 5 pounds unpeeled red bliss potatoes, or other thin-skinned potatoes, quartered
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 cloves Roasted Garlic
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water (about 8 cups), and add 2 tablespoons of salt. Bring to a boil, and cook until very tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well, and return to saucepan over low heat.
Add butter, buttermilk, roasted garlic, and bacon. Mash until smooth. Stir in parsley and green onions, and season with salt and pepper.