Alexis Stewart's caramel-almond popcorn is an easy snack to make and, as she can attest, "people love it."
- Yield: Makes about 18 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for baking sheets
- 3/4 cup corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups raw almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 cups packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Butter 2 rimmed baking sheets; set aside. Place corn kernels and oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; cover. Once kernels begin to pop, shake pot frequently; when popping slows to about 3 seconds between pops, remove from heat; uncover. Transfer to a large bowl. Add almonds; toss.
Cook sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring, until it reaches 255 degrees.
Remove from heat. Stir in extracts, salt, and baking soda. Pour over popcorn mixture; toss to coat. Divide between prepared sheets. Bake, stirring occasionally, 1 hour 20 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.