Roasted Mixed Vegetables
You can substitute any fresh vegetables for the ones in this recipe; adjust the cooking times accordingly.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 small turnips, peeled and cut in half
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pound butternut or acorn squash, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 12 ounces brussels sprouts, cleaned and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Olive-oil cooking spray
Heat oven to 450 degrees with two racks centered. Spray two 12-by-14-inch roasting or jelly-roll pans with cooking spray. Arrange onions, rutabaga, turnips, carrots, squash, and brussels sprouts evenly in the two pans. Drizzle all with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and toss lightly to coat vegetables. Sprinkle each pan with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle rosemary and thyme evenly over each pan, and roast for 25 minutes; turn vegetables with a spatula for even browning. Cook until vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife, 15 to 25 minutes more. Brussels sprouts may cook faster than other vegetables; if so, transfer to a serving platter, and keep warm until remaining vegetables are tender.