This dough can be used for any savory tart.
- Yield: Makes enough for one 10-inch crust
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April/May 1994
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 small shallot, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons ice water
In the work bowl of a food processor, combine flour and salt. Add butter, and process for about 10 seconds, or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add thyme and shallots; process a few seconds more.
With the machine running, add water little by little, until dough just holds together. Form dough into a flat disk, and wrap in plastic. Chill until firm, at least 30 minutes.