Arugula, Chicken, and Rice Salad
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Petrina Tinslay
Source: Everyday Food, June 2011
- 2/3 cup converted long-grain white rice
- 3 cups packed mixed fresh herbs, such as basil and parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 5 ounces baby or wild arugula (5 cups)
- 1 rotisserie chicken (skin removed), meat shredded (4 cups)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges, or 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
Cook rice according to package instructions. Meanwhile, in a blender, blend herbs, oil, and vinegar until roughly chopped, scraping down sides as needed. With machine running, gradually add 1/4 to 1/3 cup cold water and blend until dressing is smooth and pourable. Transfer to a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss arugula with three-quarters the dressing. Transfer to a serving platter. In bowl, stir together rice, chicken, scallions, tomatoes, and remaining dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper and arrange on top of arugula.