This versatile spicy-sweet sauce is the perfect addition to any summer grilling menu. Mix up a batch to use as a spur-of-the-moment marinade, glaze, dip, or spread.
- 5 ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 4 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
In a small saucepan over medium-high, cover ancho chiles with water and simmer until chiles are soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and transfer to a blender with jalapenos, garlic, sugar, molasses, ketchup, vinegar, and orange juice. Blend until mixture is smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper.
SourceEveryday Food, June 2011