You can buy scallion cream-cheese spread to use for these sandwiches, or make it from scratch using our recipe. Or, if your kids prefer it, use plain cream cheese instead.
- Yield: Makes 4
Source: Martha Stewart Kids, Late Summer
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 large round rolls, such as kaiser
- 1 to 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3 cups loosely packed shredded carrot (2 to 3 carrots)
- 1 1/4 ounces alfalfa sprouts
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
Stir together cream cheese and scallions in a small bowl.
Split rolls in half horizontally. Spread bottom of each roll with 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cream-cheese spread. Layer tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, sprouts, lettuce and avocado on top. Return tops of rolls, pressing down firmly. Cut sandwiches in half, if desired, and serve.